How to Keep Your Carpets Clean
It is important for you to maintain the carpet fresh and neat on all occasions. Regular carpet cleaning or occasional carpet cleaning will help you to maintain your carpets fresh. Here’s some tips to keep your carpets clean.
One of the easiest ways to keep your carpets clean?is regular vacuuming. Carpet manufacturers actually recommend doing seven passes with a typical vacuum in order to thoroughly remove the loose soil from the carpet. Since you may not have time to vacuum all the rooms in your home seven times, vacuuming 1-3 times a week will help reduce carpet wear, keep the floor cleaner, and help the carpet last longer.
Use Baking Soda
Sprinkle some amount of baking soda on the carpet before vacuuming. Baking soda helps to absorb the odor and makes the carpets to smell fresh in addition to a clean look. You can sprinkle some cinnamon on the floor and vacuum it up to have a natural air freshener each time you vacuum.
Train Pets to Stay Away From Carpets
You may have pets like dogs or cat in your house. Train your pets to stay away from the carpets as they are the reason for most of the dirt in the carpets.
Learn more about how to do that here.
Treat Stains as They Happen
Treat stains as soon as they occur. If you notice a stain, tackle it right away. Any kind of spill requires swift action before the substance sets in. Apply your chosen cleaner to the spill and gently blot it out with a clean rag. Keeping blotting the spill until its dry and then vacuum the area.
Make sure to use a white or neutral colored towel to clean the stain. You do not want to get dye on your carpeting.
If you don’t want to use a chemical-based cleaner, a combination of vinegar and club soda usually works on stains. Mix equal parts vinegar and club soda and then apply to the stain.
Avoid Dirt, Dust, and Moisture
Wet carpet leads to mould and mildew growth. Further, wet wool starts rotting with bad odor. Ensure proper aeration of the rug periodically. Of course, mold is a moisture problem. If you clean up your mold but don’t solve your moisture problem, you’re just inviting mold to come back at a later date. Clean and dry water-logged or water-damaged areas within 24 hours to prevent mold from growing.
How to Remove Mold From Carpets
- Step 1: Ventilate the space by opening windows or, if possible to remove the rug, take it outside to treat it.
- Step 2: If you cannot remove or lift the carpet, proceed by treating the visible surface mold. If its is possible to lift the carpet, do so until you reach the the area with mold and examine the backing. If you see mold on the backing of the carpet, you’ll need to replace that piece or the whole thing.
- Step 3: Scrub the surface of the carpet with a dry, stiff bristle brush to remove the visible mold spores.
- Step 4: Thoroughly saturate the moldy area, and at least 6 inches around it, with anti-fungal spray.
- Step 5: Blot the anti-fungal spray with a dry, clean, disposable rag to soak up excess. Do not rinse the area with water or any other treatment.
Get Professional Cleaning Done
After all of this cleaning, your carpet can still have some hard stains which are tough to remove by normal cleaning. If this is your situation, call a professional carpet cleaner. Professional cleaners will use chemical and detergents to remove the stains from the carpet.